PGA Golf Professional Shoots Record Setting Score
On February 5, 2015 PGA Golf Professional Jason Schmuhl became first player in history to break par playing with Smiley The Ball. Playing the 6,143 yard Par-72 Windsor Golf Course (Windsor, CA) under overcast skies and a light but steady wind, Schmuhl recorded 14 pars, 3 birdies and 1 bogey for a 2-under par score of 70.
In addition to breaking the 18-hole Smiley Golf scoring record, Schmuhl also set the 9-hole scoring record (2-under par), the 9-hole record for fewest putts (11), and the 9-hole record for birdies (3). Schmuhl also tied the 18-hole record for birdies (3).
The previous 18-hole scoring record of even-par was shot twice. The first round of even-par was shot on July 4, 2014 at the Par-71 Buffalo Ridge GC in Branson, MO and that feat was later matched on September 14, 2014 at the Par-72 Indian Valley GC in Novato, CA. The previous 9-hole scoring record was 1-under par (achieved multiple times) and the previous 9-hole record for birdies was 2 (achieved multiple times).
Schmuhls’ only bogey of the day came on the par-5 ninth hole where his lay-up shot ticked a tree branch and kicked right into a water hazard. After taking a penalty drop he pulled his approach shot into a greenside bunker and was short-sided with a tough 30-yard sand shot. The sand shot was struck perfectly and almost went in as it caught the left edge of the hole and lipped-out leaving a tap-in for his bogey 6.
Schmuhls’ bid to break 70 was denied as he could not get a birdie putt to drop on the back nine. His 50-foot birdie chip on the 18th hole missed left and he made the 3-footer to finish the record setting round with nine consecutive pars. Schmuhl hit 8/14 fairways, 13/18 greens in regulation and had a total of 27 putts.
Smiley The Ball is the only ball of its kind in the world and offers the elite level player a new and challenging way to play a round of golf. Smiley The Ball will be available for purchase beginning July 22, 2015 and only a limited amount of balls will be available during this inaugural 2015 Summer Release. Only one Amateur player, one Sr. Amateur player (50+ years old), one Woman and one Professional player at each golf course will be able to purchase and play Smiley The Ball. To be eligible to purchase and play Smiley The Ball a player must have a USGA handicap index of 5.4 or lower. For more information on how you can set the Smiley Golf Course Record at your course visit the course records page or visit our Facebook page www.facebook.com/SmileyTheBall. You can also reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Smiley The Ball Golf Scoring Records (As of April 22, 2015)
- Lowest 18 hole score in regulation to par – 2-under Par (70- Windsor GC Windsor, CA)
- Lowest 9-hole score in relation to par – 2-under par (Windsor GC Windsor, CA)
- Most birdies in an 18-hole round – 3 (multiple times)
- Most birdies on consecutive holes – 2 (multiple times)
- Most pars in a round – 16 (Buffalo Ridge GC Branson, Mo)
- Longest putt made – 52-feet Hole #1 Edgewood GC Lake Tahoe, NV
- Fewest putts in an 18-hole round – 26 (Peacock Gap GC San Rafael, CA)
- Fewest putts in 9-holes – 11 (Windsor GC Windsor, CA)
- Closest shot on a par-3 hole – 2 inches (Hole #11 Silverado Resort Napa, CA – North Course)
- Most greens hit in regulation – 14 (multiple times)
Top 10 Golf Accomplishments of Smiley The Ball
- First birdie on a par-5 hole – Hole #2 Pebble Beach GL (Pebble Beach, CA)
- First birdie on a par-4 hole – Hole #3 Silverado Resort Napa, CA (North Course)
- First birdie on a par-3 hole – Hole #11 Silverado Resort Napa, CA (North Course)
- First round of even-par – Buffalo Ridge GC (Branson, Mo)
- First round of under-par – Windsor Golf Course (Windsor, Ca)
- First chip-in from off the green – Hole #2 Rocklin GC Rocklin, CA (60-feet)
- First time back-to-back birdies – Holes #9 and #10 Franklin Canyon GC (Rodeo, CA)
- First flagstick hit on the fly with an approach shot – Hole #7 Pebble Beach GL (Pebble Beach, CA)
- First time being hit by a PGA Professional – February 5, 2015 Windsor GC (Windsor, CA)
- Smiley has an established USGA handicap index – (3.5 as of April 2015)
Top 10 Things That Smiley The Ball Has NEVER Done On The Golf Course
- Smiley has NEVER had a hole in one
- Smiley has NEVER had an eagle
- Smiley has NEVER been holed out from a sand trap
- Smiley has NEVER been holed out from the fairway
- Smiley has NEVER been on a par-5 putting surface in 2 shots
- Smiley has NEVER been on a par-4 putting surface in 1 shot
- Smiley has NEVER made 4 or more birdies in a round
- Smiley has NEVER made birdies on 3 or more consecutive holes
- Smiley has NEVER hit all 18 greens in regulation
- Smiley has NEVER had an entire 18-hole round without a bogey